Now that you have explored the film’s narrative, characters and genre it’s time for you to apply your knowledge in a creative task. Your challenge is to create a new teaser trailer for Thor.
A full theatrical trailer for a film, such as you might see in the cinema or online, is normally around two minutes long. Your challenge is to re-cut the two-minute Thor trailer to a thirty second ‘teaser’ focusing on a particular feature. To do this you will need to choose one of the following aspects to emphasise:
To ensure you appeal to your audience, you will need to choose your clips with care: but don’t forget, your teaser still needs to have its own narrative – it needs to make sense as a mini-trailer in its own right. How will you ‘sell’ the film and tell the story?
- View all the clips in the clip banks
- Listen to the available soundtracks
- Choose which aspect you wish to emphasise
- Go back over the clips looking for relevant choices
- Order your choices in a way that ‘makes sense; on the clips timeline. Play them through and check that, from clip to clip, someone watching your trailer would be able to understand what is going on.
- Check the length: you only have 30 seconds, so you will need to make tough choices about which clips you can keep in.
- Now, add your soundtrack and do some fine-tuning of the clips if you need to.
- Watch through once more to check you are happy.
- Now, share with another group to compare your versions: what differences are there? What common themes or clips run through your trailers?