There are many ways to get an audience interested in seeing a film. One of the most important parts of this process is through the trailer. Trailers are designed to provide the audience with enough information to interest them in the film as well as ensuring that there are enough questions produced to encourage audiences to visit the cinema.
The trailer is one of the most important elements in the marketing campaign. It needs to encourage an audience to see the film, provide them with enough of an idea about the film so that they want to find out what happens to the characters they have just met.
Watch the trailer for Shifty and answer the following questions:
- How does the trailer introduce us to the main characters?
- How does the music change during the course of the trailer? What information does this give us about the direction of the story?
- How do elements such as lighting, editing work with the music? How do they change over the course of the trailer?
- What are your expectations of the film?
- Would you consider yourself to be the target audience for this film? If so, what elements in the trailer particularly appeal to you?