Falling to earth
At the end of Chapter 21 and the start of Chapter 22, Susie 'fell to Earth' and Ruth collapsed unconscious into the road.
Susie describes moving into Ruth's body as she invites Ray to make love to her.
- How might this conflation of character be achieved in the film?
- Which of these approaches might be the most effective and why?
- use of dissolves between Ruth and Susie's faces?
- use of Susie's voice through Ruth's mouth?
- replacement of Ruth by Susie?
- For the reader, arguably there is ambiguity and doubt as to the extent to which this is Ruth and Ray's imagination playing tricks with them. How might we expect the film to recreate this ambiguity?